Because I focus on quick crafts here, I went small with my stencils. You can definitely do some really amazing things with the all-over stencils and wall stencils. I LOVE the amazing room and furniture transformations I see using stencils, but you can also add some really cool touches to a room without touching the walls or furniture, too!
I thought I’d try my hand at stenciling on fabric, by making a pillow cover and using some acrylic paints.
- The stencil of your choice. Cutting Edge has so many stencil designs to choose from, and they can scale them to just about any size you need for your project.
- 44″ x 19″ fabric of your choice for a 18″ square pillow
- 18″ pillow form – or use your existing pillows (you will need to adjust your measurements for other sizes of pillows)
- Acrylic paints in your room’s color scheme
- Textile medium (available right next to the acrylic paints)
- Basic sewing supplies
Because you should really stencil first, I’m going to show you the stenciling first – though you’ll notice my pillow cover is already finished. Cutting Edge has a You Tube Channel to show you the techniques for working on all kinds of surfaces, so check that out first if this is your first time. I will point out a few things I learned as I worked (including why a nice flat piece of fabric is important) – but I’m going to send you over to the tutorial for stenciling on fabric at the Cutting Edge Stencils blog. Gabi does a fantastic job explaining how to use your stencil on fabric – so there’s no point in me repeating it all here!
You could do this to add a pop of color or a holiday touch depending on the occasion, and switch your covers up as often as you want – because a pillow cover stores in a much smaller space than an entire pillow – and the DIY-factor is always a plus. Yes, I made this, thank you. ;)
If you haven’t entered the giveaway yet, be sure to drop by! There are prize packs worth over $100 each for SIX lucky Happy Hour readers!
Disclosure – I received a stencil and supplies from Cutting Edge Stencils for the purpose of this review. The opinions in this post are my own.
I link up to these great parties!