Ever since I re-did my craft space, there’s been one thing on my to-do list to pretty it up. My ever-faithful Singer, Ella Stitchgerald, needed a new frock (aka, dust cover).
Instead of going out hunting for the *perfect* fabric (because I don’t know about you mamas, but that never seems to work for me – anything delicious is outrageously expensive, I can never find what I want for what I want to pay), I decided just to wait and see if something turned up.
I found this fun corduroy on clearance for $2 a yard over the weekend, and I couldn’t believe it got stashed in the bargain section, I just love it!
I will share how I put it together, but this little project is more like a mini-tutorial, really – it’s a very simple one!
Sewing Machine Cover
Time: Less than an hour, including measuring, sewing, and putting everything away when you’re done. A little longer if you embellish your final look.
- One model (you know, your trusty sewing machine)
- 1/2 yd. fabric, give or take depending on the size of your machine
- Coordinating thread
- Optional embellishments
I took the measurements off the existing plastic dustcover. The front and back measured 15 x 11 1/2 inches, and the sides were 11 1/2 inches tall, 7 1/2 inches wide at the base and 6 1/2 inches wide at the top. I added seam allowances of 1/2 an inch all the way around. You know, for something so creative, sewing sure does require a lot of math sometimes. :)
Once I had all that calculated, I cut one piece to cover the front, top and sides at 16 wide x 30 1/2 inches long. The two side pieces I cut 12 x 8, and then measured in 1/2 an inch on each side to trim one side of that rectangle to 7 inches wide.
On my long piece, I found the center and marked 7 inches wide so I would know where to attach my sides. Then, I stitched the narrower ends on.
Once both side “flaps” were attached, I stitched down the sides to create a sort of box-looking shape.
It should look familiar, and yes, you’re almost done already!
All it needs now is a hem, which I used a zigzag stitch for, but it’s probably not necessary, a straight stitch should be sufficient.
I turned it right-side out, and dressed my lady up to show off to you mamas! :)
If you’re so inclined, perhaps a bit of embellishment, like a band of ribbon, a bow, or some applique would make it look even nicer. But I’m content for now just to leave it plain, it’s such an improvement to that plastic thing!
|(Old Dust Cover)|
I might have done a bit more if this were all I was working on last night, but I am on a deadline for my retro pillow entry! It’s coming along really well. I was nervous – you know how it is, every time you try something really new, you wonder if you can pull it off or not, but it’s turning out just like I envisioned!
I’m dying to show you a sneak peek, but I want the big reveal to be… well, big! I will be posting it yet this week, so stay tuned!
Happy Wednesday ~ Adrianne
I link to these fabulous parties!