Merry Christmas! Yesterday. I have been busy this week, but I wanted to share a quick YUMMY recipe for some amazing cheesy scalloped potatoes. See, I won a Honeybaked Ham in a Christmas raffle at work last week, so I had to hit up my cousin for her scalloped potato recipe. She responded in my family’s true fashion… “I dunno, a little of this, a little of that” – I think it’s genetic to NEVER measure anything! But she gave me a great start, and I noted the measurements I used – and I’m SO glad I did, because it turned out amazing. (Which is fortunate, given the sheer volume of leftovers…)
This was the perfect side dish to an already epic ham. Yes, epic. Epic Christmas dinner. (And before you get too impressed… um, I made frozen corn and rolls to go along with it, haha. Can’t work too hard during family time.) ;)
- 4-5 cups potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
- ¼ c. butter
- ¼ c. flour
- 1-1/2 c. milk
- 1-1/2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheese (mild cheddar is ideal, but most yellow cheeses will work well - whatever your family loves) - note: separate ½ cup and set it aside to top potatoes
- Prepare your potatoes and preheat your oven to 350F. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and stir in flour until well-mixed. Stir in milk (straight from the frig, cold, is just fine). Heat on low and stir very frequently, until the sauce comes to a low boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1-1/2 cups cheese, salt, and pepper, until it's melted and well-blended.
- Put half the potatoes in the baking dish, and pour half the cheese sauce on top. Then layer the rest of the potatoes and top with the remaining sauce. Use a spoon to ensure the potatoes are well-coated with sauce. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese on top.
- Leave uncovered and bake at 350F for about an hour - until the cheese on top begins to brown a little and the potatoes get soft.
- These are great straight from the oven, but they also make amazing leftovers.
Hop you had a wonderful Christmas and enjoy some great time with your family! I’m back to work today (boo!) but yesterday was wonderfully relaxing!