With the summer weather and BBQ season arriving, I thought I’d share one of my favorite salad recipes. This macaroni salad uses honey, mustard, and pickle relish for a tangy summery flavor. It goes perfectly with burgers on the grill!
I love bringing this to barbecues – it’s quick and easy, and a different flavor than most traditional macaroni salads.
- 1 (16 ounce) box of elbow macaroni
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 2-3 stalks celery
- 2-3 green onions
- 1-2 carrots
- 2 c. mayonnaise
- 1 c. milk
- ¼ c. sweet pickle relish
- ¼ c. mustard
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Boil your macaroni according to package directions until al dente/firm. Drain, rinse in cold water, and cool until at least room temperature - refrigerated is fine too!
- While your macaroni is boiling, dice your hard boiled eggs and chop your veggies finely. In a pinch, I have actually popped the veggies into the food processor! You won't get as much crunch that way, but you will still get all the flavor in just a few seconds. I vary the amount I add based on the size of the vegetables. If you have a particularly large carrot, one will be plenty. If your onions are quite small, use 3 instead of 2. You will find an amount that works well for you!
- Blend together your mustard, mayonnaise, and honey. Whisk in milk, and add salt and pepper (which can be adjusted to your tastes).
- Mix veggies, relish, eggs, and macaroni together and then pour the sauce mixture over top. Stir well and refrigerate until ready to serve!
What are your favorite barbecue recipes?