Now that my husband has gone gluten-free, I have to confess, it’s difficult finding variety in our meal planning. We eat a lot of meat and potatoes these days – not many recipes to share when we grill steaks and burgers most of the time. ;) But I was really in the mood for something DIFFERENT and EASY this week, what with my daughter starting school and trying to get ourselves into somewhat of a routine. I was paging through some of our old recipes to see what I could convert to a gluten free dinner, and I happened across this fish taco recipe. I scanned through it and was really happy to find that it didn’t even need to be modified! (It’s great to begin with, so you won’t miss the gluten at all – though if you don’t often eat corn tortillas, you may want to opt for flour tortillas if you don’t have an allergy. Personally, I prefer flour, but Kevin can only have corn.)
We aren’t huge fish eaters in my house, so I don’t think to make this one too often (okay pretty much just during Lent!) but it made for a nice refreshing change for dinner this week. It’s been a big week, actually – as of Tuesday, my baby is officially in preschool! That seems so strange… she’s going to do fantastic because she’s an outgoing kid, but up until now I’ve been a mom of babies. I now officially have a kid. My husband and I were both able to drop her off that first day. I didn’t cry… he was a bit misty, though. ;)
Speaking of Kevin, we have officially managed not to kill each other for a full 5 years (haha) – our 5th wedding anniversary was this week, too! (We haven’t had a chance to celebrate yet, but we have a sitter tomorrow night, though, woohoo!) But given how far I’ve strayed from *the actual recipe* talking about all our happenings this week – well, it’s evidence that if I can manage this dish for an easy dinner with all of this going on, you should be able to handle it, too!
- 1 lb. Tilapia filets
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ¼ c. cornmeal
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 2 c. coleslaw (prepare your family's favorite recipe - for us it's the KFC Copycat recipe at Top Secret recipes - or just buy pre-made coleslaw from your grocer's deli. If gluten is an issue in your family, I'd recommend making your own so you are sure what's in it)
- ¼ c. chopped fresh cilantro
- Corn tortillas
- Prepare your coleslaw at least 2 hours before dinner, because it will need time to set up. You don't need to work ahead if you buy prepared coleslaw. (This is also a GREAT recipe if you have slaw left from a party or barbecue.) Stir chopped cilantro into coleslaw, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a shallow dish, stir together cornmeal, and spices. Warm vegetable oil in a large non-stick skillet. Coat tilapia in cornmeal & spice mix.
- Add fish to skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes each side, until golden brown and fish flakes easily.
- Cut filets in half, and serve on a warm corn tortilla, topped with cilantro slaw.
Hope you enjoy – and have a great weekend!