There are a couple things to consider when you’re looking for the right side table, and it’s easy to get overwhelmed when you look at ALL the options! They’re available in just about every style, size, shape and color. On my trip to Target to pick out our side table, this was one of several aisles, all dedicated to accent tables!
The good news is, there are options to fit every style, and if you’re feeling under-prepared for the task of choosing the best piece for your home, then answering a few questions for yourself about your style and your needs will help you to narrow it down more easily. If you don’t quite know what you’re looking for yet, then I’ve put together this little checklist to help you find just the right piece.
1. Define your home’s style. The style that my husband and I agree on for our living room is contemporary. He leans toward traditional, and I lean toward transitional and modern, but we have found a happy medium. That eliminates anything rustic, antique, shabby chic, country, western, coastal, art deco… you get the idea. We agree on clean lines and simple styling, so that’s what I seek out.
2. Choose a color palette. That’s right, a whole palette. Don’t lock yourself into one finish only when you’re shopping. You can see we have limited options with our big green wall, but there’s a range of neutrals in there to consider. I looked at nutmeg and espresso finishes, cream, pale yellow, and also warm gray when I was shopping. If you have a neutral color scheme in your home, consider adding bright colors! I was swooning over these beautiful bright tables, and would have brought one home in a hot second, had they fit our room. (I’m still thinking about that turquoise one for my craft room!)
3. Consider your space. Decide what height and width are right, and what features will and won’t work. Because of the space between our sofa and recliner, we had to go small. There isn’t enough clearance for a cabinet door – we needed open storage.
4. Determine the use. Does it need to accommodate a lamp, or a certain piece of decor? Are you looking to fill the space for a particular purpose? Are you hoping to add a color or pattern to your room? The reason we added a side table probably isn’t a common one, but I’ll share it anyway: we have trouble with the kids sitting on the arm rest. Really! It’s mashing the stuffing down in the arm of the couch, and one of these days somebody is going to get hurt falling off. It’s not a seat. So my goal was purely to add a piece of decor that would prevent couch-climbing! Which also brings me to my next point…
5. Accessorize appropriately. For some, a side table is what holds the pizza on game day, what supports the room’s lamp, or it’s where the family photo resides. But given our climbing situation, I wanted something unbreakable (just in case) that nobody could hurt themselves on, but was a piece that I just enjoyed. So when I spied this big aluminum bowl, I fell in love! It may not be everyone’s thing, but it’s lightweight, sturdy, and I love the bit of shine in what’s otherwise kind of a dark corner. I still have to decide what I want to put in there, but I think it’s beautiful even empty!
6. Don’t blow your budget. You don’t have to spend a small fortune on a great table for your space, especially shopping at Target. You can find the right side table and even some home decor to go along with it starting under $100!
The products I finally settled on for our space after considering these factors were:
Threshold Hammered Aluminum Decorative Bowl
Find your style @Targetstyle.
What updates are you making in your home this spring? I’d love to hear about it!